Have you ever wanted to teach your children about inclusion? These children’s story books do just that.
- Zak the Zebra happens to have Autism, he spins in a circle and flaps his ears when he is upset.
- Desmond the Dragon has Dyspraxia and falls over his own wings
- Percy the Parrot has ADHD, he just cannot stay still and gets his friends into all sorts of trouble.
The books explore how the characters are included by the rest of the animal friends living on a small island. Each page in the children’s books has a Widgit Symbol Strip telling the story in simple picture symbols to ensure the books are inclusive to all children.
The children’s books are also sold separately or come as a set along with an adult teaching resource book full of over 200 activity ideas following the adventures in the story books. The resource book comes with photocopy templates printable from the book or use the template CD-Rom to print colour images which accompany the set.
The books use the animal characters within the stories to explain how the impairments may present and are designed to encourage children to be more inclusive in their play.
Each of the books is inclusive and accessible.
- 1 x Zak Makes New Friends! (Autism)
- 1 x Percy Looks for Treasure! (ADHD)
- 1 x A Dragon Comes to Visit (Dyspraxia)
“I have been searching for books to help explain why some children in our school behave differently to others. These books are brilliant, we can use them in story times and the children all ask questions. I have been able to tell them about autism in a fun way and help the children think about how they can include children in our school into their play.” – Teacher, Primary School, Hertfordshire