The majority of children are visual and kinaesthetic learners yet we use our voices far too much. This set provides a broad range of symbols to use every day to help a child’s understanding of instructions, choice, sequence, emotions and behaviour.
Young children learn by seeing and doing. We all encourage children to tell us what they see and copy language and these resources do this and more.
The kit contains:
- 1 x Pack of Show Me Positive Action Playing Cards
- 32 flash cards to help children to understand appropriate actions to support positive behaviour
- 1 x Reflect and Draw Expressions Mirror Kit in a Tin
- Help children to understand emotion and empathy through recognition of different facial expressions
- 1 x Early Years Activities fan
- Support young children’s understanding of what is going to happen next, or to choose their own early years activities
- 1 x Early Years Instructions fan
- Support young children’s understanding of instructions that are used in Early Years settings every day
- 1 x Bathroom Routine fan
- Provide easy to understand visuals for key activities we all need to do in the bathroom
- 1 x Let’s Play fan
- Give children a voice by choosing their own play activity
- 1 x Emotions Face fan
- Help children identify how they are feeling and empathise with others’ emotions
- 1 x Everyday Instructions Fan
- Provide easy to understand instructions for everyday use
- 1 x How do you feel today emotions lanyard
- Help children identify their own and others’ emotions
- 1 x robust draw string storage bag
The University of Bedfordshire chose this product as an example to illustrate the benefit and value of using visual symbols with young children. Take a look at the report written by Christina Kuegel, Senior Lecturer in Education Studies at the University of Bedfordshire.