This practical resource provides an introduction to the theory and practice of writing social stories. In addition, there are examples of successful stories to use as guides, as well as information and photocopiable (and downloadable) resources for delivering training on the use of social stories.
Based on detailed work carried out in homes, schools and pre-schools, this book offers practical support to anyone meeting the needs of a child or young adult with an autistic spectrum disorder, and with staff supporting adults with autism. Social stories are short stories intended for children and adults with autism to help them understand their social world and behave appropriately within it.
- provide clear, concise and accurate information about what is happening in a specific situation, outlining both why it is happening and what a typical response might be
- are written by those directly supporting children or adults with autism and only successful stories are included in the book
- are infinitely flexible and adaptable to an individual child in an individual social situation.
This 2nd edition has been thoroughly revised and updated throughout. It also now contains:
- brand new stories including examples for use by parents at home
- brand new section on mental health
- additional stories for use with adults with autism.